8:30am - 5:00pm

Our Opening Hours Mon. - Fri.

Call Us For Free Consultation



Restraining Orders

Efficient Law Group > Restraining Orders

Violence Restraining Order

A Violence Restraining Order is an order made by the Court to restrain a person (known as the respondent or when an order is made, the person bound) from either committing an act of abuse, breaching the peace, causing fear, damaging property or intimidating another person (known as the person seeking to be protected). A Violence Restraining Order is made when an act of abuse has been, or is feared will be, committed.

Family Violence Restraining Order

A Family Violence Restraining Order is a court order against the family member designed to stop threats of violence or violence, behaviour that coerces controls, or causes you to be fearful. It tells them to stay away from you and/or to stop behaving in certain ways towards you. The order can be worded to suit your situation.

You can apply for a Family Violence Restraining Order against someone you are or have been in a family relationship with. The definition of family member is broad and covers current and former spouses, partners, siblings, children, parents, grandparents and stepfamily relationships, as well as other relatives and members of intimate or family-type relationships. If you are not sure whether you are or were in a family relationship with the person you want a Family Violence Restraining Order against, just ask one of the experienced lawyers at Efficient Law Group and we will gladly answer all your questions.

Police Order

The police may make an on the spot Family Violence Restraining Order called a ‘police order’ in situations of family violence. The police order may be made for up to 72 hours. A 72-hour order lapses if it is not served within 24 hours. If you want an ongoing Violence Restraining Order you will have to apply to the court yourself or ask the police whether they can apply for you.

Breaches of Restraining Orders or a Police Order

A Restraining Order or Police Order will prevent the person bound by the order from doing certain things. You should read the order carefully to know what behaviour is restricted. If the person bound does something that the Restraining Order or Police Order says they can’t do, they are “breaching” the order. For example, if a Restraining Order or Police Order says the person bound is not allowed to communicate with you, the person bound must not:  visit you; call you on the phone; send SMS or text messages to you; send emails to you; send letters to you; send presents to you; send messages to you, even through friends, family or your children. You should report any breaches of a Restraining Order or Police Order to the police.

How we can help


At Efficient Law Group we work with you in an attempt to help you achieve your goals. Most people prefer to avoid the stress and expense of court proceedings, and we place particular emphasis on helping you try to resolve your matter with the minimum of acrimony. Most of our clients are able to reach agreements with our assistance through negotiation and entering Conduct Agreements or Undertakings. Our experienced lawyers at Efficient Law Group and we will gladly answer all your questions relating to Conduct Agreements or Undertakings. If negotiations prove unfruitful we are experienced in representing our clients in court proceedings.

Fixed fee Packages

Item Fixed Fee
FVRO/MRO Package (review the material, negotiating settling the matter by way of undertaking with the other party, one court appearance $1,650
FVRO/MRO Package (Final Order Hearing (Trial)). $5,500